Sunday, October 14, 2007

Some thoughts on faith and belief

Belief is something that is arrived at - not something that is 'confessed' or ascribed to.That's been a statement I've held to for the last few years and it has, in many ways, been the filter through which I've viewed my sprituality.

For instance, I believe the chair I'm sitting in will hold me, most of the time, and so my actions display that. I can sit down without really trying to think about whether it will or not. It could be said that I have faith in this chair.

I have tried to approach much of my thinking from the ground up, ie. focusing on what I experience as a human being and trying to make sense of it, rather than some or other belief system that is taught or revealed through a book. This has been a process of trying to be really honest with myself - do I really believe what I believe?

But - what then of 'blind' faith? If I only base my spirituality on what I experience, I limit myself to only that which I experience and see. How could it be possible to experience other realities if my beliefs are only defined by my present reality?

So - sometimes I play games - and imagine I'm living in a world where certain things are true. I guess you could call it a spritual excercise. Just like an actor would live themselves into a role, I try and play out certain belief systems. Take them on and wear them for a while - and see how they fit into my experience of life.Belief then could be about pretending - 'living as if'.

Hmm - isn't that what ritual is all about, or statements of faith - not quite believing, but living like you do, and if the belief is true then it will perhaps resonate and become real belief - something you arrive at?

"I believe, but please help my unbelief..."

No comments: