Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I know more than I know I know

I had a discussion recently that went something along the line of "I know a lot more than I know I know". What I mean is that I have limited knowledge - understanding stuff, but my body has an immense amount of knowledge. Thousands of years of evolution has taught this body of mine how to heal itself, how to think, how to transform light into meaning. While I ('me' - the Ego?) have only had 36 years to accumulate 'knowledge' - my body (which is me actually) is the accumulation of thousands of years of knowledge. If I cut myself - I essentially know how to heal myself. While I have very little idea of how it actually works - I know how to do it because a few days later I look and the cut is gone.

So I thought perhaps I need to refine my definition of knowledge - this is what I was told by the great oracle known as wikipedia:

"There is however no single agreed definition of knowledge presently, nor any prospect of one, and there remain numerous competing theories."

hmm - so no-one really knows..

Perhaps the key then is to not rely so much on what 'I' know and try and uncover what I really do know - I just don't know it

No comments: