Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Drumming and the meaning of life..

I've been asked to run a drumming workshop at the end of the month and I was thinking about what I should do. I figured I could show off with a solo or something and then let everyone ask questions, or perhaps I could do something different. So I sat down and mindmapped the whole thing and came up with a plan..

As you may have noticed in this blog, I refer a lot to rhythm and how it is so much part of who we are, so the workshop is going to follow that theme. I decided to take 3 things that I've learnt from being a drummer - and how that relates to life, the meaning of the universe, and all that.

I will be doing a little bit of talking, and then I'm going to have drums available for everyone and we're all going to do some drumming - it's a workshop, not a talkshop. But, with regard to the talking bit, I thought I'd have a practice run here. So - in the next few days I'm going to be writing on the following:

1. Paradiddles and Freedom - the art of learning
2. The Spaces in Between - the art of listening
3. Focused Intent - the art of magic

To be continued...

No comments: